Who We Are
What is polytechnic education?
Polytechnic — “many arts and skills.”
A polytechnic is an innovative and entrepreneurial post-secondary institution, distinct from universities and colleges in that it offers a skill-focused approach to learning.
From apprenticeships to baccalaureate degrees, full-time to part-time study, polytechnic institutions offer a range of credentials in diverse program areas focused on experience-oriented training. Multidisciplinary and responsive to industry, polytechnic programs provide students with the required knowledge and skills for a rewarding career.
Leaders in applied research and innovation, polytechnics work closely with industry, regional and local organizations and community partners, providing access to leading-edge knowledge, skills and resources.
Canada’s polytechnics also offer diverse industry training products to corporations across the country and around the world.
SAIT is a member of Polytechnics Canada, a national alliance of leading research-intensive, publicly-funded colleges and institutes of technology dedicated to propelling business innovation and creating jobs for tomorrow.
- SAIT served 49,398 students in 2013/14
- Nearly 220,000 alumni in 76 countries
- More than 2,600 faculty and staff
- 15,765 full load equivalent students; a growth of 9% over 2012/13
- Offers 84 day-time programs and 37 apprenticeship programs
- Trained 33% of Alberta’s apprentices and is the second largest provider of technical training in Alberta
- 2014 graduate employment rate of 94%
- $4 million in scholarships and bursaries awarded annually
- First polytechnic in Canada and third Canadian post-secondary to become a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, the largest honour society in North America
- Generous individuals, corporate partners and alumni contributed close to $15 million to SAIT programs, projects and students in 2014/15
- Over 750 transfer options with more than 67 post-secondary institutions in nine countries
- One of Alberta’s Top Employers in 2015
- Recognized as a Top Research College in Canada
- 3,234 youth in SAIT Summer Camps in 2014
- Applied Research and Innovation Services at SAIT has developed 234 prototypes on behalf of its industry partners